Originally Posted by Axman
Got an email asking me how I rig a dead head.
Dead sticking with a fluke is very popular. As you know, the fluke has a hollow body (a slit). This makes for a minimal amount of contact between the hook and the plastic.
I mount the fluke upside down. I do this because fish feed up and when mounted upside down, the fish still get the full view of the fluke profile but by mounting upside down, it gives me area on the fluke to put super glue.
I don’t use the screw locks on my jigs because they tear the plastics. I sell only what I myself have personal experience with.
This is how I do it. Try it and if you feel your technique is better, go with it and let me know what you do. I’m old but I’m always learning.
1. Buy a ReAxtion Lures Dead Head Jig
2. Buy a Reaxtion Lures Fluke
3. Bite off the tip of the fluke so that it is flush against the jig head
4. Insert the jig hook through the center of the fluke
5. Bring the hook through the jig right up to the barb
6. Apply some super glue to the end of the jig head and push the fluke up onto the jig head
7. Apply super glue into the slit in the body of the fluke and hold the slit together with your fingers for 30 to 45 seconds
8. Dip the tail in chartreuse dye obtained from ReAxtion Lures
9. Use the bait attractant scent of your choice. I always use shad scent
10. Place a few dead stick rigs in a zip lock bag
11. Seal the bag and let it sit a few days before you go out. If the plastics soak up all the scent, spray some more in there.
As I say, that’s how I do it but there are many other ways I’m sure.